The castle of Beauregard in the Loire valley of France
Inhabited without interruption since the late 15th century, the castle of Beauregard is hidden behind the foliage of the forest of Russy. Discreet and elegant, it surprises the visitor with the wealth of its intact decorations.
On the land of Beauregard in the early 16th century, stood a small house, which was included the royal domain of Louis XII, that was used by François the 1st as a hunting lodge.
In 1545, Jean du Thier, the Secretary of State Henry II, acquired Beauregard. He was the real design engineer of the castle today. One can still see the first floor of his office work, the remarkable cabinet Grelots.
In 1617, Paul Ardie, loyal minister of kings, retired to Beauregard. He bought the domain to spend his remaining years after 55 years of service to the crown. He enhanced the castle and especially began the work that included 3 generations of his family: the decoration of the Gallery of Portraits which miraculously stayed intact. The castle remained the property of the family Ardie until 1816. It thereafter had several owners who took care of and modernized the property.
Beauregard is now owned by the family of Cheyron du Pavillon. She continues, since 1925, the difficult exercise of restoration and opening to the public in a place where the family still resides.